I need a Break

Current Offers for Respite in Lancashire


A Proper Break is a service funded by East Lancashire CCG and provided by Crossroads Care. The service provides free two hour breaks to give you time to do things you need or want to do . Get the flyer here.

Contact Crossroads Care on 01282 832548 or email them at enquiries@crossroadseastlancs.org.uk [hr]

newcarers-link-lancashire-logo-low-resCarers Link offer a range of trips, therapies and regular or one off events. A quarterly magazine includes details of all trips and activities. For those of you on e-mail there is a monthly update. Details are on their website

A range of topics and interests are covered and the days and times of trips are varied to give you, as a Carer, the best chance of taking part. The usual charge for most trips and activities is £5 but this usually includes transport, tickets or entry costs and where possible a meal.

Trips, events and activities are strictly for Carers only so you’ll meet lots of other people who understand the challenges you can sometimes face.

In addition, Carers Centres work in partnership with Crossroads Care East Lancashire to provide free care for the person you care for to allow you to attend without any worry (this is called ‘replacement care’). Furthermore, if you have your own Personal Assistant or use your own Care Agency, then arrangements can be made for them to provide the replacement care whilst you are out enjoying yourself.

Volunteer sitting in service

Volunteers can provide a sitting service for up to 2 hours per week to enable you to take a break. Click here for further information.

Respite Vouchers and Care Navigation
Respite Vouchers: Many Carers following a Carers Assessment are offered ‘Respite Vouchers’ by Lancashire County Council as they are assessed as needing a short break from their caring role.

The vouchers can be used with a variety of approved care or residential care providers. You can get assistance to find a suitable care provider by telephoning the ‘Care Navigation Team’.

The number of vouchers issued to each Carer varies depending upon their needs. Carers may ask for the cash equivalent of the vouchers, known as a direct payment in lieu of vouchers, which can offer some people more flexibility. You can choose when and how often you want to use your vouchers or direct payments and you will receive a 12 month allocation at a time. Vouchers expire on 31st March each year and you must telephone the Customer Service Centre to request the next years allocation as they will not be sent to you automatically. For more information contact: 0300 123 672009.

Care Navigators
Often referred to as ‘respite care’ many Carers find they need a short break. In order to do this, it is often necessary for them to source alternative care for the person they care for. Finding this care can sometimes seem like a challenge, however Lancashire County Council has a service to help you. The ‘Care Navigation Team’ can be used to help you to:

  • understand and use your Respite Vouchers or Direct Payments, often awarded following a Carers Assessment to help you take a break
  • find suitable approved care agencies, care homes or other social care providers
  • book or arrange care
  • book one-off or longer term respite.

If you do need more support to care for your loved one either in your own home or with a short break or possibly with residential care, Lancashire County Council can help. Care Navigation will talk with you about your needs and preferences to identify services which meet your requirements.

You can contact Care Navigation Services on 0300 123 6720 or e-mail: carenavigation@lancashire.gov.uk

Or click here for more information.

Residents of Blackburn with Darwen should contact the “Your Support,Your Choice” shop on (01254) 292620 They do not have a specific care navigation service but you should be able to get the same kind of advice.

Choosing a Care Home
Finding a Care Home for a loved one is a very daunting task. In addition to the support from the Care Navigators you may wish to review independent inspection reports for a short-list of homes. The Care Quality Commission are responsible for checking whether hospitals, care homes and care services are meeting national standards. You can find reports on all homes on the following website: http://www.cqc.org.uk