Practical Support


Lancashire Well Being Service

We all have times when life’s ups & downs can become too much for us. A little bit of support might be all you need to get through.

Lancashire Wellbeing Service helps people deal with the causes that can affect their health and wellbeing. They offer a free non-clinical service to improve your independence and quality of life.

If you want to get in touch please call the local rate number 03450 138208 or use the online contact form.

Lancashire County Council Safe Trader Scheme

Find traders you can trust for property repairs, home improvements and domestic services such as gardening services, mobility aids and other services around the home.

For residents of Blackburn with Darwen, a similar scheme is run by Care Network.


Homewise is a not for profit organisation that is dedicated to help you improve, repair and maintain your home. They aim to help you stay safe, secure and independent for as long as you want to and if you decide to move they will assist you with this as well.  Visit their website at You can contact them on 01254 232 249 or .

Homewise Memory Matters Project – Provides advice and support to people living with memory loss adapt their homes to suit individual needs in order to allow people to live in a safe and secure environment, that aids independent living.  Small changes such as changing the colour of light switches and grab rails from white to blue, putting in place signage, providing nightlights, memo minders and much more can make a huge difference.  Caseworkers work alongside carers to ensure that a good network of support is in place by engaging with other services thereby reducing stress and worry.  All clients are contacted regularly and offered further help and advice if needed.

Read the Memory Matters leaflet.

At Dementia

At Dementia is a website devoted to assistive technology. Find out how assistive technology can help in living well with dementia at

St Vincent’s are a home care and repair agency based in East Lancashire covering Burnley, Pendle, Rossendale and Ribble Valley, they can help with a range of repairs, improvements and advice if there is someone in the house who is aged 60+ or someone who is registered disabled.  Visit their website at:

Home Visits

Many Health Care services offer home visits if you are unable to get to them, services such as Dentists, Opticians, Pharmacists. Ask you usual provider if they are able to come to you. If not, you may wish to consider a specialist service such as those below, although there will be many more available in your community.

Your local Home Improvement Agency provides impartial help, advice and support on all aspects of home improvement, adaptations, repairs and maintenance works to your home.  They have special schemes and support that can help you to maintain your independence. Just simply changing the environment can make a huge difference to a person living with dementia, helping them feel safe and secure in their own home; can be achieved by using colours, adequate lighting, signposting, producing pictures of objects and rooms, with familiar personal objects that relate to long term memories, ensuring that areas that are hazard free with suitable and safe access. For more information on the support that is available in your area please click here.